Dunleer (Irish: Dún Léire or Lann Léire) is situated midway between Dundalk and Drogheda.
It was the principal Town Borough in the Barony of Ferrard. It has a Charter dating back to 1252. Situated on the White River and located upstream is the White River Mill, a 17th-century flour mill, which is open at times to visitors. The White River Mill pond is located on the confluence of the White River and Ba Be Stream.
The town has its origins in the early Sixth Century Christian monastery of Lann Léire. The Monastery and its town were the subject of periodic raids by groups of plunderers between the seventh and twelfth centuries. In the sixteenth century the manor of Dunleer was granted to John Barnewall, 3rd Baron Trimlestown. Rathescar Lakeside walk and woodland ecological area is located a short distance from the town. This is a local amenity that is well liked in the locality and beyond for its outstanding natural beauty.
Located adjacent to the M1 motorway to its west, there is excellent access to and from the M1, as Dunleer is served by no fewer than three motorway interchanges (M1 Junctions 12, 13 and 14).